Eco-Friendly Vegan Lotion Bars
- 1/2 cup organic, unrefined coconut oil
- 2 cups cocoa butter*, in chunks
- 1/4 cup candelilla wax pellets
- 1.5 teaspoons organic essential oil (optional)
- 0.5 teaspoons vitamin E oil (optional)
- Heat the wax and cocoa butter in a glass bowl in the microwave or using a double boiler on the stove. Monitor carefully while heating, stirring occasionally.
- Add the coconut oil and stir.
- Let cool slightly (before wax starts to solidify), then add in essential oils, if using.
- Pour your mixture into your silicone mold of choice. Add dry ingredients, if using, such as exfoliants or dry herbs.
- Pour remaining liquid in an old tin or glass jar.
- To speed up cooling, place molds in the freezer. Be sure they are completely solidified before removing from molds.
- Keep the room well ventilated.- Use dedicated equipment if possible - the wax sticks to everything.
- Want something to take on a backpacking trip? Use citronella to make a natural bug repellant lotion. Add peppermint, cedar, lemongrass, and/or geranium essential oils for added outdoorsy appeal.
- Need something to help you relax after a long work day? Use lavendar, rose, ylang ylang, chamomile and/or vanilla oil for a calming nighttime blend.
- Want something to energize you in the morning? Use grapefruit, sweet orange, rosemary, eucalyptus, or juniper berry.
- Planning a day out in the sun? Make your own reef-safe sunscreen bars. Add 1 teaspoon red raspberry seed oil +/or carrot seed oil. Add ¼ cup non-nano zinc oxide* (less or more zinc oxide based on your personal preference for opacity vs. protection).
Recipe by exist green at https://existgreen.com/beginners-guide-eco-friendly-lotion-bars/